Welcome to Seattle Babies and Toddlers!

This blog hopes to provide ideas for parents with babies and toddlers for things to do with their little ones in Seattle.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Diaper Bin Trials....Is There Any Way to Stop that Stinky Bin?

Whether you go with the Diaper Dekor, Diaper Genie II, the Diaper Champ or the $320 Vipp 15 Kitchen Bin, chances are – eventually – you’ll begin the battle of the diaper bin stench. For the first six months you’ll probably be sure you chose the perfect pail – no smell, no problem. Then you’ll move on to solid food and you’ll gradually notice that your “oh so fresh” pail isn’t quite so fresh anymore. Here is a list of great solutions I’ve picked up that hopefully will help you with your own diaper bin woes. As for myself, after 9 months of mighty battle, I surrendered today and bought a new pail.

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried Tea Tree oil, I use 5-10 drops on a clean tissue then out it inside the pail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I haven't tried that. Great suggestion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have a recommendation but it may not be what you are looking for. Dump solid waste into the toilet! Seriously! Once they are having solid poops, the extra step of taking the diaper to the bathroom to dump is SO worth it! A bonus: when they are potty training, the kids are very very clear as to where poop is supposed to go.

    Doing this, I have never had a stinky diaper pail in 4 years of diapering. I have an open "dry sack" hanging in my living room (for cloth diapers), as well as a closed foot-petal garbage can for disposables (just a super cheap metal one there, and a plastic one in the girls room) , and have never, ever had a problem with smell. Cloth diapers I wash every other day, but we often only empty the disposable pails once a week and they still don't stink, 4 years of diapers and counting!

    Give it a try! Its better for the environment, as well!

    ReplyDelete